An Award Winning Motor Alternator Replacement
Suitable for Regional and Commuter Fleets
Motor Alternator (MA) equipment is currently installed in the majority of loco-hauled coaches and trains powered through Thirdrail. This equipment is currently used to service all onboard electronics, HVAC and charge the batteries. Maintaining and running the MA equipment is expensive with costly repairs followed by poor reliability and obsolescence issues, which subsequently increases the train downtime and through life costs. Rail operators and fleet owners are always looking for ways to minimize maintenance costs, increase system efficiency, reduce carbon footprint, improve power density and increase fleet availability and reliability.
The Static Converter utilises the existing mounting arrangement thereby minimising conversion costs and provides a modern electronic replacement fully compliant with all rolling stock and network rail standards. In addition, connectors featured on all electrical interfaces facilitate rapid replacement of the unit thereby reducing mean time to repair (MTTR) and maintenance costs.
- Potential to save over £1m
- 15% efficiency improvement in operation compared to a motor alternator
- Reduced carbon footprint
- Over 4kW energy saved per journey
- Reduced through life cost due to no wear and tear by intrinsic characteristics
- Easy maintenance and installation
- Overall weight saving
- Short circuit and overload protection
- Designed to last a trains life time
- Full suite of diagnostics software included
- Proven to be highly reliable and efficient
TPS was chosen by Chiltern Railways to develop this unique solution because of its pedigree within the Global Rail market and niche experience in developing products for bespoke refurbishment projects. The product was successfully developed, thanks to the support from Chiltern Railways on the specification of the technical requirements and implementation approval. There are now more than 30 units successfully operating in mark III coaches throughout the UK.